Vice President of Sales & Business Development
San Francisco Bay Area, CA USA
We are seeking a proven and driven Vice President of Sales and Business Development to lead our transition from chip sales to system solution sales and help unlock the large and growing market opportunity for our products. This position will report directly to the CEO and, as a member of the executive leadership team, contribute directly to the overall success of the company.
The VP of Sales and Business Development will lead a team with the following responsibilities:
- Source new leads, build a strong funnel of customer opportunities for existing products, and validate new product proposals and definitions.
- Interface with customers to understand their system-level needs, pain points and unsolved problems. Propose and promote solutions using Eta Compute products and technologies.
- Identify new markets, trends, applications, and opportunities for existing/future products and/or derivatives. Provide product definition to Marketing and Engineering. Work with customers to obtain validation, sponsorship, and funding for new product developments.
- Contribute to the company’s business plan, strategy, and product roadmap. Work with the executive team to evaluate and select new products for development that optimize TAM/SAM, revenue growth, gross margin, differentiation, and other business criteria.
- Formulate and implement go-to-market (GTM) strategies for new products. Monitor competitive developments. Establish sales channels and engage with channel partners to meet revenue targets.
- Work with Marketing to articulate Eta Compute’s value proposition and differentiation and to evangelize and promote the company’s products in print and on-line media, at conferences, trade shows, and other industry forums.
- Build strategic alliances with ecosystem partners including direct customers and end users (our customers’ customers) to deliver end-to-end solutions. Develop strong and trusted relationships with key influencers and decision makers.
- Negotiate contracts, pricing, statements of work, NRE and other agreements.
- Set quarterly and annual sales goals and drive the team to meet them. Provide bottoms-up and top-down 3-5 year revenue forecasts.
- Manage sales pipeline, drive design wins, support customer field trials and deployments to meet revenue forecasts.
- Recruit, develop and lead a high-performance worldwide sales and business development team that scales with the company.
- Collaborate effectively with BOD members, VCs, and investors to drive company growth.
- BS in Electrical Engineering or related engineering field. MBA preferred.
- 10+ years of demonstrated success in technology system solutions sales, marketing, and business development.
- Proven success bringing new products to market in a lean startup environment, from lead generation to customer development, design in and successful revenue growth.
- Marketing-level technical knowledge of IoT and sensor systems including architectures, hardware, software, AI/ML algorithms and cloud services.
- Proven success in driving strategy and definition of a new product category culminating in commercial success, revenue growth and market leadership.
- Track record of recruiting and developing high-performance, results-oriented teams.
- Domain expertise in imaging, vision and sensor systems using AI/ML
- Experience with B2B sales of equipment, controls, sensors, systems and/or software for smart buildings, cities, retail, transportation, industrial and/or factory automation. Established relationships with buyers in these segments a plus.
Desired Personal Characteristics:
- Outstanding communication skills. Excel in articulating and evangelizing the company’s value proposition to various constituencies, including customers, partners, employees, analysts, board of directors and press. Ability to distill complex ideas into simple and convincing messages (oral, written, graphic presentations) that capture the company’s mission, value proposition and differentiation.
- Strategic thinker. Courage to think big and formulate long-range plans that create exceptional value for stakeholders while putting in place detailed tactical initiatives to get there. Make daily decisions consistent with the company’s mission and overarching strategy. Remain focused on the big picture without getting distracted by irrelevant “shiny objects”.
- Aggressive, Results-Oriented Leader. Action-oriented, sales “hunter” who pursues new leads and opportunities with a high sense of urgency and passion. Make aggressive but achievable plans and meet them. Negotiate effectively and close deals. Intense, but with an in-check ego and receptiveness to constructive feedback and coaching.
- Relationship Builder: Build strong relationships and gain access to key ecosystem partners, customer decision makers and influencers. Build trust through authenticity, professionalism, credibility, and integrity. A highly motivated, collaborative team player who actively contributes to an atmosphere in which people work together, enthusiastically, and effectively, to produce outstanding results. A strong desire and ability to coach, teach, mentor, and develop others.
- Curiosity and Creativity: Technical depth and curiosity to ask insightful questions that reveal customers’ problems and pain points. Listens well and connects customer problems with Eta Compute technologies to propose creative solutions. Resourceful in identifying new opportunities, applications and use cases for the company’s products and technologies.
- Agility, Flexibility and Adaptability. Comfortable working in a dynamic and rapidly changing entrepreneurial environment. Ability to easily multiplex between business development, product marketing and sales. Able to change direction and pivot as market requirements, customer needs and/or business priorities shift.